So what is mindfulness? Kabat-Zinn states it is “Awareness that arises through paying attention, on purpose, in the present moment, non-judgmentally”.
This, simply put, means being aware of your thoughts, feelings, sensations and physical surroundings.
There are 8 simple ways we can all become more aware of this concept.
- Be still. Find a time where you can be unplugged and simply still for 5 minutes each day.
- Connect to your breathing. Once you become aware of your breathing patterns, you will become aware of how they change depending on your emotional state.
- Eat with intention. Savor your food and be aware of the different textures. Ask your body if it is satisfied half way through your meal rather than eating everything on your plate.
- Take a tech break. So many times, people are eating with their devices now. Turn it off. Stop and take the time to have a conversation with your spouse, child or friend. Be present.
- Take the time to slow down enough to actually hear what is being said or the sounds of nature around you.
- Get grounded. Connecting with the earth and everything around you helps you to slow down and be in the here and now.
- Learning how to observe teaches you how to respond rather than react from a place of impulse.
- Cultivate gratitude. Who and what in your life are you thankful for? Actively and intentionally choose to make gratitude a part of every day.
Listen to this weeks show by clicking HERE.